PPPs are active substances with activity on pests, but sometimes also on non-target organisms, which determines their toxicology and ecotoxicology. They also represent a wide variety of chemical structures. Active ingredients with the same mode of action may have structural analogies. Some may be stereoisomers. Finally, PPPs have physico-chemical characteristics that may be useful for predicting biological activity (e. g., solubility in water and solvents can help to understand the migration of molecules in crops).
In order to handle these active substances correctly and safely in the laboratory or in the field, it is important to be familiar with their chemical structure and main characteristics, which can be consulted in the databases listed below.
- Database Ephy : ephy.anses.fr
- Agritox : agritox.anses.fr
- ACTA database (usages and toxicology) : matphyto.acta-informatique.fr
- ChEBI (Chemical Entities of Biological Interest ) : ebi.ac.uk
- Database on fluorinated pesticides : fluoridealert.org
- Compendium of pesticides common names : alanwood.net
- Pesticide manual (with login) : bcpc.org
- Pesticides properties database (PPDB) : sitem.herts.ac.uk